According to the Vastu Shastra scriptures, the various directions denote the following aspects:
- East Pitrustaan (Manes): It should not be blocked, since it is the source of male issues.
- Southeast (Fire) is believed a source of health, place of fire, cooking and food.
- South is believed a source of wealth, crops and happiness.
- Southwest (Earth) is a source of character, behavior, cause of longevity and death.
- West is a source of name, fame and prosperity.
- Northwest (Air) is a source of change, income from business, enmity and friendship.
- North (Maathrusthan) This should not be blocked as it is the source of female issues.
- Northeast (Water) is a source of health, wealth, prosperity and of male issues.